This web site will look much better on a modern browser. You will be able to see the content of the site with this browser, but to get the full experience, please view this on a newer browser, such as Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, Netscape 6.0 or higher, Firefox, or Opera 6.0 or higher.
- Williams College, B. A., Physics, 1944; Garfield scholarship; Tyng fellowship.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, S. B., Electrical Eng., 1944.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, S.M., Electrical Eng., 1947. Thesis: “A storage tube dielectric surface for secondary electron control.” Supervisor: Professor Jay Forrester. See also JRM paper #0.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, graduate study in physics, 1947-1948.
- Oxford University, Rhodes Scholar; (sixth MIT Rhodes Scholar since 1931 when the records started); Massachusetts and New College, 1948-1950; D.Phil., Physics, 1950. Thesis: "Some problems of ferromagnetic resonance." Supervisors: Professors J. H. E. Griffiths and M. H. L. Pryce.
- Oxford University, D.Sc., 1967, based on internal and external reviews of JRM published papers.